- Freelance writer/editor
March 1996 - present
full-time March 2000 - present
- Publications include IEEE Spectrum, Technology Review, Discover, Nature Photonics, Communications of the ACM, Xconomy.com, Lincoln Laboratory Journal. (See Publications)
- Associate Editor - Laser Focus World
November 1998 - March 2000
- Researched and wrote technology stories for monthly trade magazine and business stories for biweekly newsletter and website.
- Coordinated and edited special report on optical communications.
- Solicited and edited technical features.
- Assistant Editor, Technology - Laser Focus World
April 1998 - November 1998
- Researched, wrote, and edited for monthly trade magazine and biweekly newsletter.
- Writer/researcher - Discover Magazine on Discovery Channel
June 1996 - June 1997
- Researched and wrote story proposals for Emmy-nominated weekly science magazine series.
- Generated ideas for stories and episodes, including "Fatal Flaws," aired 1/21/98.
- Helped rewrite and fact-check scripts.
- Research assistant - Douglas Starr, co-director, Boston University Science Journalism program
September 1995 - May 1996
- Researched material for "Blood: An Epic History of Medicine and Commerce."
- Health and education reporter - Bristol Press
May 1993 - August 1995
- Covered health, social services, hospitals, and schools, for 21,000-circulation daily newspaper.
- Reporter - Bristol Press
September 1992- August 1993
- Editor - Bedford Minute-Man (Beacon Communications)
January 1990 - August 1992
- Editor - Inside Westboro (Beacon Communications)
August 1989 - January 1990
- Started up twice-weekly newspaper.
- Assistant editor - Billerica Minute-Man (Beacon Communications)
May 1988 - August 1989
- Reporter - The Beacon (Beacon Communications)
November 1987 - May 1988
- Editorial assistant - Publications Office, University of Rochester
June 1984 October 1987
- M.S. in Science Journalism
- Boston University, Boston, MA
- January, 1997
- B.A. in English
- University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
- May, 1986